Sunday, July 6, 2008

"I will give thanks to You, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to You among the nations. For your lovingkindness is great to the heavens and Your truth to the clouds. Be exalted above the heavens, O God; Let Your glory be above all the earth." Psalm 57:8-11





Hey everyone!! How are you?? Our first full day in Mexico City has been wonderful-- Vanessa and I woke up around 7:15 to get showers and have some quiet time and eat some breakfast (cereal, bananas, yougurt, and pastries!) before heading to church with Luis around 8:40-- it was so good to be back at that church!! I recognized so many people and got to talk to all the kids I met last year-- its like we never left!! :) Some of us on the team went to Rosie Martinez's class for the kids at 9 AM where we sang worship songs and talked about what our purpose in life is (Nuestro proposito es alabar a Dios y gozar en El para siempre) and what it means to glorify God ("Que es glorificar a Dios?"). After that we had some time to fellowship with friends that we haven't seen in a while and then we had worship time and Luis preached from Matthew 7:15-20 (which he will continue over the next two Sundays we are here) about the danger of false prophets-- he challenged us to sit under teaching that confronts (not avoids, or condones) our sin-- we need (I need!) faithful teaching from God's word that points out my sin and draws me to repentance!



After the sermon, the Contreras family, Vanessa and I, Carlos, Armida, Sergio, and Luis D. and his host "parents" went to an absolutely delicious taco place called El Asadero-- my first tacos in Mexico!! They were incredibly tasty... I have pictures I will put up soon! :) We were serenaded by a man playing his guitar and singing, which was fun, and when lunch was over, we piled back into the car and headed for home! Vanessa and I are sitting in our room in our pjs talking (I got to hear her engagement story! She's getting married in November! Aaah its so exciting!!) and relaxing and reading.... Its so nice!!

5:45
We just got back from the market with Robin--we had to run over there quickly to pick up some things-- I saw the Mexican hot chocolate that I love (and don't worry Mollie, I will stock up next week some time and bring you some home!! :))... The view from the market is incredible-- Vanessa got some pictures of it!

Now we are going to get back to our reading and chatting and have some dinner in a little while, and then get some rest before our big day tomorrow-- VBS begins!!

The Contreras family is so kind and thoughtful and hospitible to us-- I am so humbled by Luis and Robin's selfless love and care for us and their constant concern for our comfort-- Luis is hilarious-- he checks up on me and Vanessa often and before we left for the store he said "You girls can do whatever you want. I can take you to coffee or wherever you want and pick you up later or you can read... Just because the kids are being quiet and resting doesn't mean you have to. Its not the contreras military academy or something!" :)

Well Im going to let Vanessa use the computer now-- hopefully tomorrow my laptop will be up and running!! In the mean time I'm going to read and spend time with the Contreras kids :)

Have a great night!

5 comments:

Gurrolas said...

Hi Katie,

So thankful that you arrived safely. Isn't it great when if feels like you never left? The cliche of picking up where you loeft off does have some truth to it! I will be praying for God's blessing as you serve in the VBS - that you are blessed as well as those you serve.

Love,
Auntie Carol

wagamama said...

Hey you! I just got back from Israel and I know how encouraging it is when people read your blog and leave comments.

I heard that you'll be in charge of crafts for the little kids--I'll be praying that goes well, no worries, just go with the flow and be flexible. :)

Love you sweet girl and I'll be praying for you. Have a blast!

Kelly Wright said...

Hola senorita,

Glad to know things are going so well. Your excitement to be in Mexico is very evident. It is encouraging to read about your joy as you are serving others in Mexico. My wife and I are praying for you and look forward to keeping up to date with your blog.

Love,
The Wrights

The Scotts said...

Hi Katie! This is a test! Google won't let me comment so if this makes it through then we're good to go. :)

The Scotts said...

Yea! It worked!!!! Sorry, just your weird auntie (you know, your favorite one - ha, ha!)being weird again. I wanted to be the very first commenter on Friday but I guess the Lord didn't want me being to prideful. Anxious to see pictures!!! Xo XO XO XO!!!!