Saturday, July 5, 2008

We're here!! =)

I can't believe its been a year since I've been here in Mexico!! I'm sitting on my bed right now at the Contreras' home listening to the rain and thunder right outside the window-- I've forgotten what a real thunderstorm is like!! It has been such a great day- God has blessed us so much with safe travel and no issues with immigration or customs!!

I'll start from the beginning... :)

The day started out at 5 AM at the flyaway where our team met and organized our luggage, said our goodbyes, and jumped on the shuttle to take us to LAX... Once we were at LAX (which was ridiculously crowded!) it took just a few hours to get through checking our luggage and going through security... I grabbed some starbucks for breakfast and got to sit and talk with Sarah (one of my teammates) for a long time before we met up with the rest of the team waiting to board... We boarded around 10 AM and took off right on time at 10:30!I have to say I absolutely love flying and the takeoff this morning was very fun for me :). I took a nap for a few hours to rest up and spent the rest of the time listening to music and getting really excited to see the Contreras family, until we arived right on time at 4 PM (Mexico time). As we were landing, looking out at the city all you can see for miles and miles is colorful buildings and lights--it is so pretty! The landing was smooth (I give the pilot a 10 out of 10 on that one! haha :) ) and as soon as we got off the plane we went through immigration (and a very friendly immigration officer (?) wanted to talk with me for a while! Y si, estoy usando mi espanol con todos! :)) and customs and an hour later met up with our host families to drive home!

It was SO GREAT to see Luis Contreras again and talk with him on the way to his house-- Vanessa and I are so blessed to get to spend the next two weeks with him and his family!! We ordered pizza for dinner on the way home and a half hour later amidst pouring rain and thunder got home to see Robin and the kids!! Olivia (6 years old--just graduated from kindergarten!! :) ), Rodrigo (5 years old- starting kindergarten this year!) and Ana Gabriela were squealing (we could hear it before we even got in the door) when we arrived-- I was so excited to see them I could have been the one squealing!! They had just gotten their baths and were hungry for pizza so we ate and caught up with Robin, and now we are getting ready for bed and unpacking!! We leave for church tomorrow around 8:40!

Lord willing I will be able to put pictures up within the next few days-- Im using Luis' computer right now because my wireless isn't working but Josiah should be able to help fix that at the VBS on Monday!! :)

Until then, keep us in your prayers and thank you for all the love and support you have shown me in the preparation for this trip! It is SO good to be back! I had forgotten how much I love it here-- God is so good in allowing me to come back!

I hope you are all doing well!
<3 Katie (your mexican friend :) )

5 comments:

saraHAMi said...

I'm so glad to hear that you are there safe and sound. I can't wait to stay updated with your activities. I love you lots and lots. Sleep well tonight! Xoxo

CH said...

Great news. Thanks for the update. We all miss you around here. Tell Sergio hello for me.
I love you.

Katrina said...

Hey Katie!

Deseo que tengas uno tiempo gran en Mexico. Por Favor dile a Josiah y Crystal que yo digo Hola :]

haha I probably totally butchered that but I hope you have a great time!

-Katrina

tms06 said...

SIgue usando el espanol!!!! Muy bien Katie. We are thinking about you and praying for you. =) Yadi

jmarston said...

A storm is a fantastic thing! They always remind me of ultimately how small and powerless I am...especially on the sea.

Your Uncle Bob and I used to have a poster in our room when we were young which showed a ship sailing off into these ominous thunderheads and a beautiful sunset. The caption read, "A ship in a harbor is safe, but that's not what ships were built for."

Seems like you're down with that, out there in the world fulfilling your purpose here. You go girl! and keep on keep'n on!